I’m blogging at last!! It feels like forever. I’ve been meaning to write about so much stuff but life has has seemed to have gotten in the way the past few weeks. Not today though!
I was driving through the outskirts of Perth today, and I just felt so inspired to write and make… things. I don’t know what it is but sometimes I think it’s pretty nice to get away from the city for a while. It kinda clears the head a bit, and I usually hate rain but it was raining quite a lot today and it actually helped kick me into gear even more.
It’s the end of term for a week and a bit, and you know after doing heaps of assignments, motivation to do anything just kinda dissipates….the past few days all I’ve wanted to do is just read every book on my to-read list and at the same time, do absolutely nothing. Hopefully I’ll get onto something productive in the short holiday that’s coming up though.
I have a fair bit of stuff to share but I wanted to start with my final drawing for an assignment this term.
The assignment was based around Visual Analogy – we had to find objects/things to draw in a composite image which had similar shapes and features. Having a main theme was optional, but I felt like having a theme was pretty important in drawing everything together.
I immediately knew I wanted to do a western theme because I’ve been in a kinda western/country mood lately. I think it all stems from my obsession with Fallout NV’s scenery. Yes I am still talking about this game but honestly, it’s kinda romanticised the desert for me. I think it’s the wide open space and the element of danger behind every dune…
Anyhow, the assignment was focused on pen techniques, and achieving different textures with just lines. There were a few images I wanted to draw but I think my final drawing is kinda inspired by Stephen King’s Gunslinger from the Dark Tower. At least, that’s what I imagine him to sort of look like. I read a few of the Dark Tower books literally years ago, and it’s always left an impression with me. I’ve forgotten so much about the story though, I really want to catch up with all the books now
The following pics are the concept sketches – testing out different compositions. If you haven’t already realised, the shape I focused on in my drawing was sharp angles and ‘spiky’ things – think cactus, cowboy boots, snakes etc.
Composition was a pretty big part of the assignment so I’m actually quite happy I found images that go together well. I’m still working on my compositions in general and I want to do more dynamic stuff in the future, but I do like using framing devices. I’ve also realised I like clarity in my drawings – which kinda contradicts my aim to do more dynamic stuff Oh well……still need to practise everything so much.
After getting a concept approved we had to arrange our composition on Photoshop, print, trace our images, photocopy the line art, then ink it all in. Our teacher said tracing more details means easier inking so I spent probably around 3-4 hours tracing.
The following images are just some process shots of the whole thing:
I’m really happy with how the metallic stuff turned out! When you’re inking it just looks like lines when you draw but when you step away it actually does look like metal. It’s pretty cool.
The above was about 8~ish hours or so into the drawing. Inking took a lot longer than I imagined it would I really didn’t want to mess up my drawing in case I had to restart it all again, so I was really careful and took my time (I did photocopy everything a bazillion times though). Luckily, I didn’t have to redraw anything!! Once you get into the rhythm of it all, it’s easy to get lost in all the details~
Drawing the scenery was surprisingly not that hard for me….the most challenging part was probably the scorpion and the guy himself, and the horse. I’m really happy with how the cactus and the other plants turned out though. And the eagle!! I got really nervous doing the sky though, so the lines are pretty wonky in some bits. But I think it also adds to the hand drawn nature of the drawing.
So after around 16~ hours or so, it’s finished!
But now I have to clean up all the stray dots and lines.
I used a white pen and white gouache to clean everything up, because I had a lot of specks and smudges. The final was just photocopied so it didn’t really matter if I had to cover up and fix a lot of things, but just LOOK how much I had to go over!! I thought this part would be the easiest thing to do, but I think it easily took me at least two hours.
We used 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, and 0.7 pens to draw our illustrations but I also used a 0.05 because you can get a lot finer lines that way. I think it made a huge difference.
And that’s pretty much all I have to say about that!
I will hopefully blog more soon in the coming days. I have some free time over the next two weeks so…yay!